Election: Some People...

I would like to append to yesterday's happy-go-lucky post about the election that I am deeply disappointed by the reactions of many of my peers to the results of the election. Now, a university is above all things a haven of free speech, but some people are just plain ignorant, and there is no softer way to put that. Personally, I couldn't care less whether you, as a fellow student, supported McCain or Obama... But please keep your closed-minded, impatent and immoral snap-judgments to yourself, because it just so happens that there are those of us out here who know better and care not to hear your sophomoric complaints.


The main hock of meat behind what I'm talking about here is the explosion of Facebook statuses following the announcement of the winner in the presidential race last night. For those of you outside the loop, Facebook has a feature where you can basically put in a snippet about what you're doing right now, etc, and there is an area where you can view status updates from all your friends. Anyway, around 11 last night there was an absolute explosion of statuses from across the spectrum. If you're saying something nice, that's fine. If you're expressing disappointment, that's fine. But please...

___ _____ can't believe American's voted Obama to be our next President when he HATES this COUNTRY!!!!! I am going to DIE bc I am WHITE!!!!!! Off to write my will.

___ _____ is change is here.... to being F***D! buckle up America it's gonna be a shitty 4 years! F**K OBAMA.

___ _____ thinks that everyone who voted for obama is an idiot.

___ _____ is applying for a passport and buying a one way ticket out of this country!

___ _____ cant wait until this shit is over so everyone will shut up about it already!! im moving to canada..

___ _____ is god help us all....

Even worse than this is what some people awoke this morning to see while passing through the Free Expression Tunnel here at State (spray painting is allowed in the tunnel). Apparently there was some really nasty racism with extremely offensive comments and images in reference to Obama. Whoever might be behind that, what did you hope to accomplish? Did you follow the election enough to know that Wake County, the one that NC State is part of, went Blue? Did you know that more people here support Obama than McCain? I hope that they find out who you are and remove you from the North Carolina higher education system, so that I might look forward to seeing you in a job that is far-removed from input in the political system; preferably doing something like cleaning the bathrooms in the Capitol Building so that maybe over time you might open your mind and learn a thing or two.


I am ashamed to call some of you who are acting so immaturely my friends, and if you are so distressed that you want to leave this great nation over a new leader who elicited almost record-breaking amounts of supporters, please go. The American University system, and indeed the nation in general, can do without your ignorance, thinly disguised racism and ill-informed political opinions.



As for me...  I appear to be sick.  No, not sick of the above, but actually sick.  I literally have no voice unless I'm whispering, and I'm quite congested, but somehow I'm not really feeling sick sick.  Oh well.  Not a bad day, but it will probably be a late night.

Watching: CNN, duh
Listening: Donovan - Catch the Wind...  He sounds like a cross of Sonny from Sonny and Cher and Dylan...

'till tomorrow...

No comments: